Saturday, December 1, 2012

To my ONE year old....

Dear E,

You have taught me so very much. You have filled my days with little rays of sunshine. Never would I have ever imagined mommyhood being so challenging and so rewarding all at the same time. My ability to have patience has increased twenty fold. EVERYTHING is on your time. From when I shower to when I eat, this patience was learned quickly. And I wouldn't have it any other way. You have taught me an unselfish love. A love that doesn't care if she takes a shower that day, a love that "oops she forgot to brush her teeth that day," a love that wears spit up all day, a love that spends her weekends cuddled up next to you. A completely unconditional love.  My heart has been forever marked. From your sweet cackle to your hard headed personality (compliments of yours truly), you keep me and your daddy in stitches. You are already so strong willed, a trait I hope you keep. I can not believe a whole year has gone by. Where has time gone? It seems like just yesterday you came into this world, the happiest day of my life (it runs a tight race with when your daddy and I got married). Speaking of your daddy, you can see the love your daddy has for you in his eyes. He is so smitten by you. This makes your mommy's heart swell with joy. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought your daddy would be so obsessed. I don't know many fathers who use their off days to watch a newborn baby. Watching y'all grow together is going to be so much fun. I see many hunting trips planned. He's already got you practicing duck calls, you still got some practice to do. :) 

There is something about being one year old that sets it in stone that you are no longer a baby. This makes your mommy quite sad, in a bittersweet kind of way. I remember thinking, "I can't wait until you become more independent." And now I'm thinking "Can we please go back, just for one day?". You started off as a six pound one ounce baby who didn't know how to eat, sleep, or even roll over and today you've blossomed into an approximately twenty-four pound little boy who can walk, babble, clap, wave, and even feed himself. I will never cease to be amazed at how much is learned in just the first year of life! It has been so much fun watching you soak everything in like a sponge. You can literally see the wheels turning in your head. You analyze EVERYTHING. Super smart already (and I'm not just saying that because I'm your mom). You love to cuddle, but only on your time. Sounds like somebody else I know...uh hmmmm. I never understood how much my parents gave up for me, but now I get it. There is nothing I wouldn't do for you. 

To my ONE year old, may you stay determined and keep your contagious laugh, may you never get too old from loving on your mama, may the good always outweigh the bad, and may you always know how much you are loved. 

I love you with everything in me.

Love, 
Your Mommy



No comments:

Post a Comment